blog*spot
get rid of this ad | advertise here
You can link to other sites that you like here

Other sites

Ariella~ - Balderdash - Hobbit! Daphne

Monday, October 03, 2011

Adelaide

Well it's been a while since I've blogged on blogger.

Sometimes the lure of a blank page is just what you need on a calm afternoon in Adelaide. I'm here visiting my brother, and it's nice to buy a ticket without any plans, to escape the craziness that is SGH and certain orthopaedic teams, and have a fresh look at where I am, where I'll be and what I wanna do.

It's not exactly the best time to be in Adelaide as my brother is having his exams soon. And of course, he needs every bit of time he can muster to study. Still, if holidays are not a good time to come visit, then when's a good time to visit? Very soon we will be too busy, and our lives will diverge like it has already begun to.

Even now, I feel that work is like a wedge that breaks up life into two completely different pieces. And when we talk about work, and how much we should work this lifetime is never an easy question. Different places have different living costs and quality of life. Once you start working, you start seeing how a great number of decisions were made for you by the circumstances of your birth, and how few choices you really had growing up.

But now you're grown and you have to make decisions for the next generation, and the next generation may not be anything like you, or do what you want to do, or like what you like. And then you have to decide if this society that you've chosen treats everyone equally well, or if you were just one of the lucky winners who was born in a city that suited what you wanted to be. Because luck cannot go on forever. All we can do to continue to succeed is to stack the dice for our children and make sure they get every edge to keep ahead.

I've always associated myself with Raffles Institution and the idea in our anthem of a Prometheus. A man/divine being who will descend and bring knowledge and salvation to others. In my job, I do feel a little like Prometheus, using whatever little knowledge I have to try and help a few people. But it's more than that. As a person, without my job and this system, can I function as a prometheus? Can I do all these things myself?

It's my little driving dream, to be able to plop anywhere and bring the "divine" knowledge to others. But we're really still learning, still experiencing, and still seeing how things are changing day by day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home