blog*spot
get rid of this ad | advertise here
You can link to other sites that you like here

Other sites

Ariella~ - Balderdash - Hobbit! Daphne

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Privacy

I spent my Saturday afternoon reading an enlightening book on architecture and privacy. It explained to me very clearly, how different cultures and different socioeconomic classes view space, and privacy. Both are so intimately interconnected, yet people plan for space better than they can plan for privacy.

My cousin came by, and she said she really liked the way i did up my room. I'm surprised because my room's a mishmash of furnitures, while her's was carefully designed by a designer. But maybe children say the wisest things. We can't live in someone else's perception of what an ideal room is. Everyone should be given the power to organize the room that works best for them, no matter how young or old.

In some ways, I've been very lucky. To live in a world of my own self-determination. On the pyramid of the hierachy of needs, privacy and space is at the top (i.e the thing most people aspire for). I've had it for as long as I can remember. It's been a part of me, and something I look out for.

Life is about the space to make your own decisions, to be self-determined. And the only way to achieve that, is to have the private space to explore and think. To run through various possibilities, and determine the best courses of action. If we don't have that space (either physical, or mental) then the way we react to situations is instinctive and emotional.

I can see how people have used this principle to achieve their goals. Pressure selling is one example of denying your target the space to think rationally, and instead behave in a very instinctive and emotional way, to achieve the goal of getting rid of you. Religion is another way of restricting that personal space that we all have, by insisting that there is only one right conclusion that we should reach, one door, before we get out of that personal space of ours.

I never really understood the American desire for privacy, but after reading the book, I am enlightened as to it's importance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home