blog*spot
get rid of this ad | advertise here
You can link to other sites that you like here

Other sites

Ariella~ - Balderdash - Hobbit! Daphne

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Violin

Just practiced violin again. Another two hours flew by. I think I'm getting pretty good already, in the sense that I'm no longer struggling through the motions, but thinking about the music that's coming out. I changed new strings also, and it's interesting how I now KNOW when it's out of tune (cos it kept stretching) when in-tune and out-of-tune is usually the last thing on my mind. I used to think roughly there was good enough, but now when i play my guitar, the slight imperfections in pitch due to the fretted nature of the instrument also annoy me.

I wouldn't say I'm excellent yet, but I think excellence is within my grasp. I think I can perfect first position once the CAs are over, and I have some time to put into intensive practice. Then it's work on vibrato and third postition. Expectations have been raised! I'm no longer looking to finish Grade 2 (since that's like only a few weeks away now), probably aiming for Grade 5 within the year. I'm at the 5 mths mark now, and it seems doable.

I love the absolute sense of concentration playing the violin puts me in. I'm fighting with myself to let the emotions out, and I'm letting the emotions I want to express, train myself. One sets a mental goal, some way I want to play the music, and let my body try to reach it. It's really exciting and lovely. Everything starts with a goal, and the fun part, is the struggle to reach it.

I love the violin. Every part of it. I was working out the physical principles in lectures today, and having access to music journals, being a university student, really helped. I could never have thought completely about it without the help of ideas from these professionals. But I also have new ideas of my own :D Maybe one day I can make them happen.

I think silk strings are the way to go for the E string and A string. Now to find an erhu silk string supplier! Maybe Passiones for the next string set :D Music rocks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home