blog*spot
get rid of this ad | advertise here
You can link to other sites that you like here

Other sites

Ariella~ - Balderdash - Hobbit! Daphne

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Value

I was looking at old violins, trying to understand the world of artifacts, old wood boxes with plastic and steel strings on them. I have a pretty good sounding violin, which I bought at a reasonable price. However, these antique instruments do not have any further work on them. They are not better sounding today, than they were years ago. So why do these things appreciate in price, and others don't?

I don't really want to talk too much about this, although the articles I read did have some pretty good analyses. I think the value lies in the emotion it brings out of the person who has it. We don't buy things. We buy emotions. Some people buy bargains, because it brings out the bargain seeking emotional reward centre. Some people have excess cash, so they buy reputations, names, because they can spare the cash, and they are looking for a future windfall ahead. Some people buy for the happiness, however transient, that owning one of the world's rarer object gives them.

I wonder which kind of person am I.

Looking at the kinds of people there are in the world, the only thing I want to figure out, is what kind of person I am, what kind of value I have, and who might want me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home