blog*spot
get rid of this ad | advertise here
You can link to other sites that you like here

Other sites

Ariella~ - Balderdash - Hobbit! Daphne

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Competition

Well today I had a few really hmmm moments, so I think the word of the day is competition.

I don't know if I'm an overachiever or whatever, but apparently I've been accused of that, and it made me pause a little to consider his accusation. Overachievement and competition is something that dominates our lives. We all have drives to be better, to explore, to learn, and to do that faster or better than everyone else.

Some people commented recently that they never knew that I had a particular skill. I was quite surprised myself, when I allowed myself 5 mins on the rental drumset and actually managed to keep a beat. Or that now I can play tennis semi-decently, thanks to Sheryl, Wei Tse and the girls on the tennis team. It's not men's team beating standard, but I'm happy with what I've achieved. I feel that learning something, doesn't have to be because you want to be the best at something. You could learn for learning's sake, or to gain an additional perspective.

Some people go a lot further and seek to master a skill. They may be great tennis players, great exam-takers, great chess players. I admire their dedication to their craft, and I respect that by learning somethign from them, or being inspired by them to take up their passion at a limited level. I don't think that's something I have to tell anyone, or profess to the world.

If someone takes a lifetime to master something, there must be some inherent value in it. It could be cultural, it could be sensoral, it could be kinetic. By following them, we can get a glimpse of the world that lies just beyond. I respect the masters in their own way. Not by seeking total mastery, but by sharing a tiny taste of that passion that keeps them going.

I may not compete, but that's because I have nothing to prove.

1 Comments:

At 5:45 am, Blogger daphne said...

boo. i miss you :( im feeling really pmsy and blah and i hate everybody.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home