blog*spot
get rid of this ad | advertise here
You can link to other sites that you like here

Other sites

Ariella~ - Balderdash - Hobbit! Daphne

Monday, July 24, 2006

Biochem Supp Viva Voce

I think it went pretty okay, quite honored to talk to the profs actually, and I think I had a great time telling them about my year in Biochem, even though they did intersperse it with some biochem questions that were way out of topic.

I think they mean well, and if they fail me or anything, I don't really have any grudges.

After all, academia is about walking behind the footsteps of Giants.

But I'm really grateful for all the people who've helped me so far. Kah Hua, who gave up precious time to tutor me, Cheryl, Shawn and Jon in the medlibrary, all those that wished me the best this morning, and Aileen for finding the mysterious set of notes that weren't titled Enzymes, but were about enzymes, and totally came out. Liyana, for emotional support and being positive. People who I bothered with SMSes when I was bored with studying, 3stans for being nice.. Nadia for being concerned, even though she was busy with work. Brenda too :D. Angeline :D. Candice. Geraldine. Ningyan, Michael Yam, a whole blur of faces, who took the time to talk to me, and make me feel better about the process. Band-Aid! Which is finally back in action. Thanks for their patience!

Strangely, a Christian song "Climb Every Mountain" was my favourite piano piece for the entire process. Somehow, just playing those chord changes over and over felt so soothing when I was terribly stressed. Somehow, the melody expanded into a symphony, the lyrics talking about birth, disaster, triumph and birth again, like a never ending cycle.

And my tuition kid almost made me cry. I gave tuition even though I had supps viva the next day, and I was teaching him mathematical models. I told him to draw 3 books and 2 pens and 1 comb, which costs $9.00. Mentally, I already drew those boxes of different lengths, and I just wanted him to get it over and done with. But he drew me these beautiful books, with a cover design, and pens with one or two nibs, and combs with a nice little emblem on the end.

And somehow I was just thinking to myself, how much further this kid has got to go in the world. How our education system strips his individuality from him and grades him not just on his mathematical skills, but on his ability to draw boxes like everyone else. How we take the fun out of mathematics, and never really replace it with anything else but a mark at the end. How we convert everyone into a mark, and forget that they are beautiful books, beautiful albums.

I went there with the intention to teach him, but he taught me something in the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home