blog*spot
get rid of this ad | advertise here
You can link to other sites that you like here

Other sites

Ariella~ - Balderdash - Hobbit! Daphne

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Research

I don't know why so many people are against research. They seem to be really against it. I still remember the concept that Prof told me back in J1. He told me to prove every equation and principle for myself. Once you understand the fundamentals of why you do what you do, then you can be sure what you're doing is the right thing.

I think everyone is really working very hard to memorise facts, figures and relations for the CA. I guess I'm the only naive one out there. I really want to understand why the human body is built this way. It is worth knowing, because concepts across the sciences are similar, and the techniques that the body has pioneered could be used for the betterment of humanity, instead of just something that you correct with blunt methods.

When I asked my question about Follicular stimulation, I was thinking of sperms undergoing their own form of selection by being forced to swim through the cervix, womb, and fallopian tubes. They went on a race through chance, acid conditions, and natural selection to ensure the strongest sperms make it. Why then are female eggs spared from this natural selection process? Shouldn't it be even tougher than the male regimen since there are 100 million sperms, but only one egg? Quite happy the Prof got what I was implying through my question. I don't really want to know the details. I just want to know that such a mechanism exists. That in some miraculous way, we are the marvels that we are.

Hope the people enjoy the Oasis concert. Oasis is such a nice name for a band.

Was a bit upset over lunch because it seems like my friends are having a blast of a time in Uni. Joy's graduating already after 2 years, and she's going to work for Morgan Stanley. Enping's going off to Duke, and working on exciting DNA PCR without the use of primers. I'm sure Jietong worked on interesting research projects in her M1 year as well. I just feel left behind sometimes. Doing all the mundane stuff when new discoveries are just over the horizon.

I'm sorry, I guess I'm just upset about being sure of what I want to do, yet the journey seems so long and unconquerable. I don't want to just write papers. I don't want to experiment on monkeys or rats or bacterial cells. I want a medical education because I want to bring research to people. I want an industrial design education because I want to bring research to people.

All those papers are solutions looking for a problem. And men have problems that they don't know about, that they don't know how to fix. Maybe the answer to cloning lies in the Follicular Selection question I asked. Maybe because the cloned cells do not undergo the chemical messenging that all eggs go through, they are not really suitable for the host, or not DNA complete. How interesting if we could do this selection ourselves in the lab, so that we can implant the best embryos.

Met Ding Soon at the Anat Museum and played a game of Weiqi with him. He commented that in Weiqi things change really quickly. Well.. my answer was that things change, but by the time you notice them, it's already too late. You can only go for the next best alternative. Look for something else equivalent on the board or something lesser, and just go for it!

Talking about noticing things. How do you say you like someone when you've got the nagging suspicion the person knows already. How do secretive people survive a relationship with people who can read them like a book. And are probably smarter than them to boot.

I'm looking at you. Don't read my thoughts. Please!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home