blog*spot
get rid of this ad | advertise here
You can link to other sites that you like here

Other sites

Ariella~ - Balderdash - Hobbit! Daphne

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Apologies to 3stan

Recently I've felt that relations between me and my wonderful anat group has soured somewhat but I didn't really know why. Last night, someone came to tell me, and I'm very grateful for that.

I think I owe the 3stans an apology. And I do hope they forgive me. Sometimes I offend people without meaning to, and I cannot make amends until I know that I have made a mistake. :D I thank that person who told me about it and gave me a chance to make it right again.

I won't go into specifics here, but rest assured that I will apologize to the people concerned and not do things like that again.

I guess part of the problem is the speculation, because I don't really explain myself in person very much and very often. Truth is, I was very offended by the FRS project about appearances and the medical interview. All of us have friends that have tried very hard to get into NUS medicine, some with grades that are the equal of ours. And yet, some of us made it and some of us didn't. Why?

I think it's very disgusting to suggest that the some of us that did, did better because of our dressing. And I think the profs would be very insulted as well to think that their choice of students in medicine hung on their dress sense. I'm sure they're aware of this possible bias and gave us all a fair chance no matter what we wore.

On the GEP issue.. I don't think that my post was the all encompassing definitive account of the GEP experience. I heard that other people take away different things. But the point of my post mostly, was a reply to the man who was upset because his daughter seemed to be growing too fast, and not a triumphant dismissing of the mainstream experience.

I have friends who are from both camps, and I don't really think there is a major difference whichever path you chose. I'm not saying that one's better than the other in being a better person, I'm just sharing perhaps, the benefits of the GEP programme.

I'm sure there are benefits in a mainstream education as well. More time for sports, more time to enjoy activities outside school, leadership opportunities, making close friends and hanging out.. Lots of things are better on the other side. It's just that I chose to focus on the GEP side of things and perhaps.. for people who are used to having a complete account, I neglected the benefits of the other side.

I honestly think GEP and mainstream programmes are complementary. We make each other stronger. I don't discriminate.

As to the history of this webpage and it's name... Please click on to the first post ever on this blog... It is a legacy thing that I won't change. I think it's important to have a pillar in your life.. Something that reminds you of who you were so that you know who you are now... I've even dug out the old format thanks to the Internet Archive. You can see what it was. I hope it will be the same even in a hundred years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home