blog*spot
get rid of this ad | advertise here
You can link to other sites that you like here

Other sites

Ariella~ - Balderdash - Hobbit! Daphne

Saturday, January 17, 2004

If Joanna will work hard to answer my questions, I will work hard to better define my questions and arguments and make them understood.

Let me give a little background, of what I feel about Christianity from my perspective. History.
I've got a fancy story to tell, but I've decided that it'll be out of point, and too long.

I've never finished reading the Bible. I know. How can I argue about theology if I haven't read the complete text? I've read the early and more interesting bits, Genesis and Proverbs and Revelations. Everytime I start to read the Bible, the words fall like anvils, and I just get hammered hammered under. And it repeats itself after a while. I know cos I tried to skip ahead. It doesn't help that the version I like best is still the King James I think. Which is full of the Olde English. I like the way the words have flavour.

One important issue, that I will discuss, and of course place out of bounds immediately after, is the issue of the Word of God. This is no case of "I think therefore I am", but rather a case of "I am the Word of someone else." And that bigshot told a few people to write his messages in me. And one of those messages is that I am his word. And that anyone who adds or subtracts from his word will be dammed. (paraphrasing loosely)

It is good copyright protection, no doubt.

"And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book" (Revelation 22:19) (New International Version)

"And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." (Revelation 22:19) (King James Version)

"If you take anything away from these prophecies, God will not let you have part in the life-giving tree and in the holy city described in this book." (Revelation 22:19) (Contemporary English Version)

"and if any one may take away from the words of the scroll of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the scroll of the life, and out of the holy city, and the things that have been written in this scroll" (Revelation 22:19) (Young's Literal Translation)

Exercise for the reader. Is it a scroll or book of prophecy? Is it a scroll of the life or a life-giving tree or book of life? Two or three things? Take away life and city, or take away life, city and something else.
And of course, are all three writers doomed?

The fact is, the history of the Bible, and its formation as we came to know of it, is the result of numerous additions and subtractions over the passage of time. Each sect in Christianity follows generally the same sets of books, but also adds or subtracts minor bits of what is known as the Bible.

What do we do with a book that makes a rather strange and roundabout claim to existence? What do we do with a book that has been modified and reinterpreted through the ages?

We cannot doubt the fact that the book exists. Nor that it is generally consistent (or inconsistent!), except in the details.Just because I can't feel God doesn't mean I believe the book is a false book. The book may yet be true. (I for one know I haven't seen my brain, but I'm pretty sure it exists)

The problem lies in the creation of the book. For it is a work of many authors and interpreters, as a work that has been edited ruthlessly (and copyrighted too for commercial gain.). Maybe I'm just a new age hippie. But for a work of such importance, the people that crafted and maintained the book all had much to gain from their job. As a source of Political Power, a way to make money, to get more disciples and become famous. People who disagree are edited out of the Canon. People who agree and say pretty much the same things are accepted, anointed and immortalized.

What would you say to a book that claims to be the word of God?
What would you say to a man that claims to be the son of God?
The son has proved himself in deeds and bearing and miracles.
What has the book done for you today?
What has the book done for humanity today?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home