blog*spot
get rid of this ad | advertise here
You can link to other sites that you like here

Other sites

Ariella~ - Balderdash - Hobbit! Daphne

Thursday, October 24, 2002

Just read a depressing book, about time, and how change is accelerated by technology. Thought about the book in quiet contemplation in the RJC library, and it struck me pretty hard, how everything I see now won't be around in 2004. That the things I write and do, known as homework, will just be filed up and kept in cold storage in some boxes lying around the house, that I'll never get the chance to keep everything I've done, that I'll be stuck without a past.

And that's a real fear. A fear that strikes me to the bones. A fear that one day we'll end up like the world in 1842(is that right? Can't remember my dates.), where things move so fast there isn't a past, nor even a present, but just a dim uncertain future, in a cold dark world.

And the book talks about friendships and life in the city, with numerous statistical examples. Future Shock, by Alvin (I think) Toffler. I suppose like all other books, its half fact, half fiction. But the feeling I get when I read the book, is that he's talking about the present. Its the now.

Someone's blogging next to me. I feel vaguely irritated.Cos she's writing in small letters and caps, and punctuating everything with exclaimation marks. Something about boybands or something. And ants.

Anyway.

How much do I know each of you here on the blog anyway? I've never seen you, only heard your voice, and somewhat remembered what you said. The book is right, when it says that citizens today know more people than ever before. But they form shallower relationships, not knowing everybody well, but only a select few, whom they hope will be their friends for life. But.... that almost always never happens, people whom stick together for life... unless you happen to be married to them. Its obvious, that I'm trying to compete with the girl next door for typing speed. Blahz. The inane things I do.. But I 'm tempted to keep typing and show my supremacy. Well.... yeah... she took a break. People do move around much more... with the recent recession, it seems that people are travelling more than ever in search for jobs. Emerging markets, China, Taiwan, Thailand? School overseas? Its a fact of life.. that when friends meet again after long periods of absence, there's a more than likely chance that they're no longer compatible. That an once happy face turns to an aloof face, an once warm greeting gets cold, and hardens to a singular nod of the head.

I want friends. Friends that know where i live, what I do, what I like. Friends that I can depend on when I need something done, when I have problems, when I jsut wanna party. How do you people make your friends? Share!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home