blog*spot
get rid of this ad | advertise here
You can link to other sites that you like here

Other sites

Ariella~ - Balderdash - Hobbit! Daphne

Tuesday, July 09, 2002

I suppose "kenneth"'s just more intimate, easier to type etc etc. Well, I'll bow down to popular opinion as long as you people don't confuse me with the Other Kenneth Tan, or the Kenneth Kwan, or the Kenneth that's in swimming I think that I don't really know.

Well... today wuz quite a good day, listened to hodge's speech, did my tutorials for once ... How? any people here motivated to start a CIP for the needy folks in one room flats? I wouldn't mind joining it, and I suppose it'll be quite interesting for a weblog to do something for the community. Anybody interested?

Well, I think the people crying that the system is too stressful is just bullshit. I mean its so hypocritical to enjoy all the benefits that being in the top stream has, yet refuse to accept the responsibility to study hard, and the pressure that comes with it. If the top JC's are too stressful, drop a subject, move to PJ, or poly or something. I mean, our system is flexible enough for you to enrol in a lighter course. It just means that its harder to climb back up.

And well, I suppose if a small community of Singaporeans decide that Singaporean schools are too stressful, and they'd rather have an easy life in some overseas bridging course, well, they'd be welcome to spend their money. I'd rather save on the expense, go to a government subsidized poly, have fun, and use the expenses saved to enter an Aussie Uni that's probably more recognized in Singapore. I don't think its the system. Its the thinking.

Aside. I do agree with some people that our streaming occurs too early. And perhaps this puts undue pressure on developing kids to study harder than they should be. But if you think about it from the government's perspective, they're trying to do the opposite, and to allow those students who do not have the aptitude now, to take an easier course, that may be better on their ego, and give them more time to develop other talents. I had this new perspective on exams just a while ago during my A level orals. Taking a test is like going to the doctor's for a checkup. Well, the results you get are reflective of the YOU of that day, and the prescription rightly reflects that. Thats why the system has frequent "checkups" anyway, to ensure that you're getting the course that's most suitable for you. But in the end, you have the final decision on which medicine to take(educational course), or how often to take it(doing homework etc).

That's all I have to say on education.

Recently , I wuz out shopping for a watch, having lost my previous at NUS. Well, it seemed that every funky, cute looking, interesting watch I saw was female wear, while every boring, huge, dysfunctional, mechanical watch I saw was male. Is this a reflection of the times? Or maybe a hidden psychometric test. I kept picking the female models... what does it say about me?

It seems weird, that at a time when women are trying to break free of feminine stereotypes, men are still shackled to the idea of big is better by the fashion moguls. Do men, deep in their hearts, still believe that size is most important? Or could it be the more discerning female shopper, which requires more effort on the part of the designer to design for?

I bought a huge watch, after being told the last 5 teensy weensy multifunctional lightweight watches were women wear. Well... now I can't stand to have it take up space on my wrist, and take it off whenever I have to write. oh BTW, its some 200m diver's watch, and no, I don't intend to go diving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home